Easy Grilled Veggies: How to make Grilled Shishito Peppers
Why grilled veggies?
We are a quick bike ride away from a little restaurant called The Lot. My spouse and I love grabbing a quick snack on our rides, and our favorite item on the menu is their blistered shishito pepper appetizer. It is delicious – the peppers taste fresh, earthy, and slightly spicy. And, the restaurant blisters them to add a smoky flavor. Then they add fresh flavor by topping it with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lime juice.
Here’s how we made the grilled veggies:
Grilled Shishito Peppers: Ingredients
• 2 limes
• 2 tsp olive oil
• olive oil to mist
• 20-25 shisito peppers
• 2 tablespoons fresh basil
Grilled Shishito Peppers: Steps
1. First, I sliced up one lime. Then, I washed a good portion of shishito peppers (about 20-25). I added both items to a sheet of aluminum foil and covered the veggies and limes with a misting of olive oil.
2. Next, I folded the sides of the aluminum foil to make a sort of bowl, and carried it out to the grill. I then turned on the grill and let them sear. Every few minutes, I came out with a set of tongs to turn the peppers so that they got a nice sear on multiple sides.
3. While the peppers were grilling, I ran inside to make a lime dressing. I juiced one entire lime (about 2 tbsp of juice) and whisked in equal parts olive oil. Then, I cut up ribbons of basil – a technique called a chiffonade (here’s how to chiffonade basil)- and added them to the dressing.
4. After turning the peppers a few times, I knew they were ready because they turned a bright green.
5. I dumped the grilled peppers and limes in the bowl with the dressing, and gently tossed them with the dressing.
Look how simple and pretty this side item is?
The peppers taste fresh, slightly smoky, and have a wonderful spice to them. A perfect summer side dish to make outside on the grill!
What types of grilled veggies do you like? Let us know by commenting here.
© 2017 Caitlin W Howe, LLC
Manners matter here! Not sure whether your comment is irrelevant, impolite, or disrespectful? Read my commenting rules Commenting Rules
The postings on this site are my own (unless otherwise stated) and don't necessarily represent any other organization's positions, strategies or opinions. Thanks!