Wondering what to do for Mother’s Day? This year, figure out first what your mom would like best. One way to do this is consider her love language. Next, choose from the 15 Mother’s Day in this post.
In his book The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman identifies five ways that people feel loved. Once you understand someone’s “love language,” Chapman argues that you can generate a deeper connection with that person. The five love languages are:
1. Words of affirmation
2. Quality time
3. Receiving gifts
4. Acts of service
5. Physical touch
Once you determine which love language speaks to your mom the most, the sky’s the limit!
Let’s talk about each one and I’ll give you some ideas on what to do for Mother’s Day.
Words of Affirmation Mother’s Day Ideas: If your mom loves a to be told “I love you,” her love language might be words of affirmation. Try:
• Writing her a heartfelt card
• Framing an inspirational quote that reminds you of her
• Telling her how much she means to you
Quality Time Mother’s Day Ideas: If your mom loves getting time with you where you two focus your attention on each other, her love language might be quality time. Try:
• Getting outside for a walk, hike, or activity where you two can catch up
• Choosing an activity where you two can catch up in a quiet space
• Making sure to have a quality conversation with her
Receiving Gifts Mother’s Day Ideas: If your mom love getting thoughtful gifts, her love language might be receiving gifts. Try:
• Choosing a gift that will be truly meaningful to her, and something that will remind her of you when she sees it
• Making a gift – if you have kids, frame a piece of their artwork
• Select a gift that keeps on giving, like a magazine subscription
Acts of Service Mother’s Day Ideas: If your mom loves it when you help her with a task, her love language might be acts of service. Try:
• “Gifting” her a chore she normally would have to do herself
• Cooking her brunch or a meal
• If you are far away, sending her a ready-made meal might do the trick
Physical Touch Mother’s Day Ideas: If your mom loves a warm hug, her love language might be physical touch. Try:
• Simply giving her a heartfelt hug
• Finding her a massage therapist and gifting her a session
• Choosing a warm, soft sweater or robe – a long distance “hug” from you
What will you do for Mother’s Day this year? Let us know in the comments!
© 2017 Caitlin W Howe, LLC
Manners matter here! Not sure whether your comment is irrelevant, impolite, or disrespectful? Read my commenting rules Commenting Rules
The postings on this site are my own (unless otherwise stated) and don't necessarily represent any other organization's positions, strategies or opinions. Thanks!